chopped winter detox salad with roasted cauliflower + chickpeas + kale! Gluten free, vegan and easily made paleo by substituting the chickpeas for some chicken or turkey, this hearty and healthy winter salad is the perfect clean salad to tuck into your fridge and enjoy all week long!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 bunch of green kale, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, diced small
- 1/2 cup toasted and salted pumpkin seeds
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (or for a bean free option you could use diced apple, quinoa, or chicken // turkey)
- 4 tbsp avocado oil, divided into 2 tbsp, and 1 and 1
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt, divided + more to taste
- Preheat oven to 475
- Cut cauliflower into small florets, you can include the stem and dice small. Toss with 2 tbsp avocado oil, about 1/2 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread thin on a roasting sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Take out and toss, and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, taking out to toss every 5 minutes or so after, until soft and nicely browned. About 20-25 minutes total. If the cauliflower is soft but you haven’t quite achieved the nice brown color we’re looking for you can broil on high for a few minutes to caramelize those edges.
- Set aside to cool.
- While cauliflower is roasting:
- Core and dice fennel, toss in a small bowl with 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp avocado oil and a big pinch of salt. This softens the fennel slightly and takes away some of the bite.
- Chop kale into bite sized pieces and wash. Dry and move to a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Massage until leaves turn dark green and soft. Set aside.
- Add roasted cauliflower, kale, fennel, dill, green onions, chickpeas, and toasted pumpkin seeds to a large bowl and toss. Drizzle with 1 more tbsp avocado or olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp maple syrup and salt to taste.
- Dig in!
If you plan on storing this salad in the refrigerator for more than a few hours and you want your pumpkin seeds to stay crunchy, don’t mix them in until you plan to serve.
- Cuisine: gluten free, vegan