Creamy dairy free chicken vegetable soup is the definition of healthy comfort food. Ready in less than an hour (easy to make!) and full of flavor and good-for-you ingredients. This hearty homemade soup is made with tomatoes, lots of veggies, chicken broth, cashew cream, and fresh herbs and spices. Whole30, gluten free, and Paleo.
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 ½ cups just boiled water + more to soak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts – about 1 – 1 ½ pounds, or about 3 cups worth of leftover cooked shredded chicken
- A few big handfuls of baby spinach
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by soaking the cashews for the cashew cream. In a small heat proof bowl cover raw cashews with just boiled water and set aside to soak .
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat and add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and salt. Sauté veggies, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes – until soft and starting to caramelize.
- Add tomato paste, poultry seasoning, oregano, salt, and chili flakes if using. Continue to cook until tomato paste has darkened slightly – another minute or two. This step deepens the flavor of the tomato paste and spices.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, and chicken breasts. Bring back up to a simmer. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes – until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Reduce heat to low. If using already cooked leftover shredded chicken, just simmer the veggies and broth together and add the chicken in the next step.
- When chicken is cooked, carefully remove from the soup to a cutting board. Shred using two forks or cut into bite sized pieces. Return the shredded chicken to the soup.
- Prepare the cashew cream. Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add to a high speed blender with 1 1/2 cups just boiled water. Blend on high for a minute or two, until completely smooth and no pieces of cashew remain. Add cashew cream to the soup along with parsley and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes or so – to bring the flavors together and thicken slightly.
- Turn off the heat. Add a few big handfuls of baby spinach and stir until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This soup isn’t too spicy, but if you’re sensitive to spicy foods leave out the chili flakes and check your all purpose seasoning for chili flakes or cayenne before you start cooking.
- To make this soup vegetarian – use a veggie broth in place of chicken broth, and substitute chickpeas or another canned bean for the chicken for some plant based protein!
- If you’re allergic to cashews and can’t use cashew cream consider substituting it with a healthy pour of unsweetened full fat non-dairy creamer. You could also substitute the cashew cream with coconut milk, but expect a more coconut-y flavor with this swap.
- For quick and easy prep start soaking the raw cashews the night before.
- For the CREAMIEST cashew cream start with raw cashews and use a high speed blender like a vitamix.
- This soup is good for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- This chicken soup freezes well! To thaw, transfer to the refrigerator overnight, and warm gently on the stove before serving. This recipe would be an excellent way to get a bit ahead on some meal prep for nights when you don’t have time to cook!
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: chicken, paleo, whole30, cashews, vegetables, tomato, soup, healthy, dinner, autumn, fall, winter, gluten free, dairy free