This easy dairy free gluten free lasagna soup is made with a variety of italian inspired veggies like tomatoes, onions, spinach, and zucchini, plus italian sausage, and gluten free lasagna noodles. Top with some delicious extras like dairy free parm, fresh herbs, and pine nuts for a delicious bowl of comforting soup any night of the week! Gluten free, dairy free, and vegan option shared below.
For the soup
- 3/4 cup raw cashews + enough just boiled water to cover in a heat proof bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 9 ounce box gluten free lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups broth
- 1 5 ounce container baby spinach
- fresh parsley or basil
- parmesan or dairy free parmesan
- pine nuts
- Pour enough just boiled water over cashews in a heat proof bowl and set aside to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions and sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until fully browned and onions start have softened and started to caramelize – about 6-8 minutes.
- While onions and sausage cooks, drain cashews and blend with 2 cups of the broth in a high speed blender until creamy and no pieces of cashews remain.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, italian seasoning, tomato paste, zucchini, salt, and black pepper to the pot with onions and sausage. Cook, stirring frequently, until you can smell the garlic and spices, and tomato paste has darkened slightly – about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in creamy cashew broth mixture + remaining 3 cups of broth, and add diced tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, lower heat, and simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are all tender.
- While soup is simmering, cook lasagna noodles in a separate pot according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Season soup taste with salt and pepper. Add baby spinach and lasagna noodles. *Side note: The pasta will soften as it sits in the soup if it isn’t eaten right away. If you plan to save some for leftovers, I would recommend keeping the pasta on the side until you’re ready to warm it up.* Stir and let sit until spinach is just wilted and noodles are warmed through. If the soup is too thick, thin with a little more broth and re-season if needed.
- Divide between bowls and top with parmesan or vegan parmesan, and some fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Once the noodles are in the soup they will start to soak up the broth and soften. If you plan to save some for leftovers, I would recommend keeping the pasta on the side until you’re ready to warm it up. If the idea of slightly softer pasta doesn’t bother you, and the soup becomes too thick for your preference, just add a little more broth and re-season with salt if needed before re-heating.
- As written this soup recipe is on the thicker side, if you know you prefer a “brothier” soup, go ahead and add an extra cup or two of broth to your liking.
- To make this soup vegan / vegetarian: Swap the italian sausage for a plant based ground meat, a can of drained chickpeas or white beans, or simple leave the meat out altogether. I have made it both with and without meat and it’s equally delicious both ways!
- To make this recipe paleo / whole30 friendly: To make this recipe paleo / whole30 friendly leave out the pasta, or substitute it with your favorite veggie “noodles”. Adding cooked spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles are the end just before serving would be a delicious grain free alternative for this recipe.
- To make it nut free: If you can’t have cashews, they can either be left out altogether (the soup will not be creamy, but still delicious!), or leave them out and swap 1 cup of the broth for 1 cup of your favorite nondairy milk or creamer. I would recommend Oatly’s full fat oat milk or Plain Nut Pods.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: lasagna, soup, italian, pork, ground beef, ground chicken, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, whole30, healthy, zucchini, spinach, parsley, dairy free