Easy make ahead paleo gravy! Rich and full of flavor, this gravy is made without any binders or thickeners – perfect for your paleo or vegan table!
- Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with fat of choice.
- Sauté thinly sliced onions and garlic for about 5-8 minutes, until golden brown and soft. Add a splash of water during cooking if the bottom of the pan gets too dark – like it might start to burn. If the onions burn the flavor of the gravy will be very bitter.
- Add thyme sprigs, cashews and broth to the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes, until liquid has reduced, onions and garlic are very tender, cashews look plump and soft, and thyme is starting to fall apart.
- Remove thyme sprigs and blend everything else in the blender until smooth.
- If the gravy is too thin, return to the saute pan and simmer on low to reduce. Stir frequently, until desired consistency is reached.
- Season to taste with salt and serve.
Can be made ahead and re-heated. Thin with a little more broth if necessary when re-heating.