These easy marinated steak and avocado tacos are made with flavorful marinated flank steak, smashed avocado, pickled red onions, sliced jalepeño, cilantro, and thinly sliced radishes. So delicious, healthy, and perfect for taco Tuesday or any night of the week!
- 3/4 lb flank or skirt steak
for the marinade:
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or pressed
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (omit for Whole30)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
To cook steak:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
For pickled red onions:
- 1/2 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- tortillas or lettuce cups
- pickled red onion
- lime wedges
- In a shallow dish or bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients and add the steak. Turn to coat and move to the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour, up to four. You probably shouldn’t marinate for longer than that, or the acid in the marinade will start to break down the fiber of the meat.
- While steak is marinating, prep the toppings and make the pickled red onions.
- Mix the red wine vinegar, water and salt together together in a small bowl until salt is fully dissolved. Add thinly sliced red onions, making sure they’re mostly submerged, and set aside. If they’re not fully submerged – don’t worry, just toss them in the pickling liquid every five minutes or so.
- Thinly slice radishes and put in a small bowl of cold water to keep them crunchy.
- Once steak is done marinating, heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Remove steak from marinade and allow any excess marinade to drip off. Add to the pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes each side – depending on how well done you would like your steak and also how thick your cut is. Keep a close eye on the steak since the marinade has honey in it, which can burn easily. You can always turn the temperature down a little bit if needed.
- Once done cooking, remove steak to a cutting board and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- While the steak is resting warm tortillas and smash a little avocado on each one using a fork.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain.
- Divide steak evenly between the tortillas. Top with sliced radishes, pickled red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and lime wedges on the side.