Easy spring veggie egg skillet with bacon and herbed almond pesto made with asparagus, peas, baby spinach, bacon and pastured eggs is the perfect spring brunch dish for you and yours!
for the egg skillet
- 6 slices of bacon
- 3/4 lb asparagus
- 10 oz peas (fresh if you can find, TJ’s has a great package of fresh english peas, otherwise frozen is fine)
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- about 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half for garnish (optional)
for the herbed almond pesto
For the egg skillet
- Fry bacon over medium heat in frying pan until fairly crisp. Move to a paper towel to drain and cool.
- Add asparagus stalks, season with a sprinkle of salt and saute, until bright green, about 2 minutes, depending on thickness of stalks.
- Remove to plate with bacon.
- Crumble bacon.
- Add peas and saute for 30 seconds, add spinach and saute, tossing until just beginning to wilt. Season peas and spinach with a big pinch of sea salt.
- Turn heat down to medium low.
- Add asparagus and crumbled bacon back to the skillet.
- Create little pockets for eggs amongst the veggies , and crack one at a time into waiting spaces.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper and cover pan, cooking for about 8 minutes, until eggs are set and yolks are still runny.