This grain free caramelized onion and mushroom pizza with arugula is made with Simple Mills almond flour pizza dough, topped with flavorful caramelized onions and mushrooms, smoked mozzarella cheese, and a peppery + bright arugula and toasted walnut salad – basically making it the ideal healthy pizza situation!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon avocado or olive oil
- big pinch of sea salt
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups smoked mozzarella cheese or a dairy free cheese alternative, grated
for pizza dough:
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 box Simple Mills Pizza Dough
for arugula salad
- 1 big handful of arugula
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red or white wine vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir for about 8-10 minutes – until they are golden brown and soft.
- If pan gets too dry while you’re caramelizing onions and mushrooms, add a tiny splash (maybe 1 tablespoon at a time) of water every so often to get things moving around the pan again.
- Move onions and mushrooms to a bowl or plate and add the walnuts to the pan with 1/2 teaspoon of avocado or olive oil along with a big pinch of sea salt. Toast walnuts, stirring frequently, for a minute or so until golden brown and fragrant.
- Move to a small bowl.
- Next make the almond flour pizza dough.
- In a large bowl whisk together the apple cider vinegar, avocado or olive oil, and water. Add pizza dough mix and stir until well combined and a stiff dough forms.
- On a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, dump out dough and press and shape into a rectangle.
- Bake for about 7 minutes – until dough has puffed slightly and looks somewhat dry.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and it spread around with a folded piece of paper towel or a pastry brush – careful it will be hot.
- Add half of the smoked mozzarella cheese. Spread caramelized onions and mushrooms over the top of cheese and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for another 12-15 minutes, until cheese is fully melted and crust is starting to brown. For extra crispy brown goodness broil on high for about 1 minute <– highly recommend not skipping this step!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple minutes while you dress the arugula salad.
- Toss arugula with olive oil, red or white wine vinegar, a pinch of sea salt, and toasted walnuts. Top pizza with arugula walnut salad. Cut and serve immediately!
To make this pizza dairy free or vegan simply substitute your favorite dairy free cheese for the smoked mozzarella, or leave the cheese off all together – with all the flavor in the mushrooms, onions, and arugula salad – you won’t be missing out!