Healthy Whole30 zuppa toscana is the absolute best Whole30 comfort food! Made with nourishing and filling ingredients like Italian sausage, bacon, kale, and cashew cream, it is delightfully creamy and cozy. Whole30, paleo, dairy free, gluten free, and with a keto / low carb option.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, or 1 can of coconut milk, or 1 cup of Original Nutpods creamer
- just boiled water
- 5 slices whole30 compliant bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 pound Whole30 compliant raw Italian pork sausage – store bought or homemade
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, or whole30 compliant all purpose seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes (about 3 medium sized potatoes), cut into bite sized pieces, swap for cauliflower florets or mushrooms for a low carb option
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and cut or torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add raw cashews to a heat proof bowl and cover with just boiled water. Set aside to soak for at least 30 minutes while you make the rest of the soup.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Fry bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Remove all but about 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pot. Add sausage, diced onion, and garlic, and cook, breaking sausage up with spatula, until sausage is cooked through and onion is soft – about 5-6 minutes. If there’s a lot of fat in the pot at this point you can drain some of it off if you like.
- Add poultry or all purpose seasoning and salt with diced potatoes and stir to combine. Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer until potatoes are tender and flavors have combined – about 15-20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, make cashew cream. Drain and rinse cashews and add to a high speed blender with 1 cup of water. Blend on high until absolutely smooth and creamy.
- When potatoes are tender, add cashew cream, kale, and about 1/2 of the bacon to the pot and bring back to a simmer. Cook for just a few minutes more – until kale is wilted but still bright green.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve topped with the rest of the bacon!
To make this soup low carb, simply substitute the potatoes with cauliflower florets or mushrooms.
This creamy Whole30 compliant soup can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To re-heat this healthy soup, simply heat gently on the stove, stirring frequently, until warm. Alternatively it can be re-heated in the microwave for a minute or two, until heated through.
This soup freezes perfectly. To thaw, transfer to the refrigerator overnight, and warm gently on the stove before serving. This recipe would be an excellent way to get a bit ahead on some meal prep for nights when you just don’t feel like cooking!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: dairy free, gluten free, whole30, paleo, soup, cashews, meal prep, sausage, bacon, healthy, copycat, olive garden