Rainbow collard green spring rolls with shrimp! Layers of tangled crunchy veggies, perfectly pan seared shrimp, spicy mayo, all tucked inside some SUPER HEALTHY collard green wraps!
for the wraps
- 1 bunch of collard greens, about 8 large leaves (double that amount if your leaves are pretty small, as you may need to layer 2 for one wrap)
- 1/2 lb raw white shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and shaved into ribbons
- 1/2 a large cucumber, seeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red pepper cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- a handful of fresh herbs (I used mint and cilantro)
- sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp high quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp asian hot sauce
- can substitute (or add!) avocado
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp coconut vinegar (or another vinegar – white or rice vinegar would work best as a substitute)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- chili flakes
- sesame seeds
for the wraps
- Prepare all the vegetables and herbs for the rolls and set aside.
- Wash and dry shrimp thoroughly. Place in a large bowl and toss to coat evenly with salt, pepper, coconut sugar and garlic powder.
- Heat a large saute pan to medium high with 1 tbsp avocado oil.
- When pan starts to smoke add shrimp and cook, allowing to brown before flipping, until cooked through and just starting to char.
- Set shrimp aside to cool on a plate.
- While shrimp are cooling, prepare the collard wraps.
- Cut away the stem, and trim the spine, without cutting through the leaf.
- Bring a large sauce pan of water to boil and prepare a bowl or a shallow dish with ice water next to the stove, and a plate with some kitchen towels.
- When water is boiling, reduce to a simmer, and submerge leaves, one at a time, for about 30-45 seconds (depending on how thick they are). Be careful not to overcook, as they will get too soft to work with.
- When each leaf is done, dip it into the ice water for at least 10 seconds to stop the cooking, move to the plate and pat dry with kitchen towels.
- After collard greens are ready and shrimp has cooled, cut the shrimp in half so they’re not so thick.
dipping sauce and spicy mayo
- In a small bowl whisk together the coconut aminos, coconut vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, a few sesame seeds and a pinch of chili flakes. Set aside.
- In a seperate small bowl stir together mayonnaise with hot sauce, adjusting the amount of hot sauce to fit your taste!
- Lay a collard green out on a flat surface.
- Spread a bit of spicy mayo (or avocado) just a little ways back from the center (toward you) of the leaf.
- Place a little bit of each filling ingredient on top of the mayo – lettuce, purple cabbage, carrots, cucumber, peppers, shrimp, red onion, fresh herbs and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. If one leaf seems like it will be too small, you can layer two for more surface area.
- Fold the sides of the leaf over your filling ingredients, and then the back piece (closest to you), over the top of that.
- Roll the collard green around the filling using your fingers to keep the sides tucked in just like you would roll a burrito.
- Done! Set aside and repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
- When ready to serve, cut in half and serve with dipping sauce.