Royal pho broth with cabbage ribbons and vietnamese spiced pork meatballs – Incredibly easy and comforting pho soup that also happens to be grain free // paleo! Brimming with fragrant aromatics, tender ribbons of cabbage instead of noodles, and delightfully delicious pork meatballs.
- 1 medium onion cut in half and thinly sliced
- 4 large cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 whole star anise, crushed with the side of a knife
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 96 oz broth
- 1 very small head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 green onions very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 inch of ginger, grated
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- green onion
- Broil onion, garlic, ginger, star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick on a sheet pan on high for 5-7 minutes, until everything is starting to char on the edges.
- Add broiled aromatics to broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cooking for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While broth simmers make the meatballs.
- After 30 minutes strain off aromatics and return broth to the pot. Bring back to a boil and add the thinly sliced cabbage. Reduce to a simmer and cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix all meatball ingredients together in a large bowl and test a little spoonful in a hot skillet for salt. Using two spoons, a small cookie scoop or your hands make 1 inch meatballs (should make about 16 meatballs) and fry in a hot oven proof skillet, in batches if your skillet isn’t big enough to hold them all, until browned on all sides.
- Return all meatballs to the skillet and bake in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Ladle broth and cabbage into bowls, add several meatballs, a big squeeze of lime, fresh herbs and aromatics and serve!
- Category: Soup, Dinner
- Cuisine: Paleo, Asian