This twice baked garlic parmesan sweet potato casserole is a savory twist on a classic autumn side dish. Made with smooth and luscious sweet potatoes, parmesan cheese, and roasted garlic. Nourishing, delicious, and full of flavor!
- 6 medium sized sweet potatoes – about 4 lbs
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or another healthy cooking oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan + more for the top
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- fresh herbs to garnish
- 1 head of garlic
- big pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil or another healthy cooking oil of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and brush with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil or another cooking oil of choice.
- Cut the top 1/4 of the head of garlic off, exposing all of the cloves just a little bit. If some garlic cloves around the edge were missed you can go around and individually trim the tops off of them.
- Place cut head of garlic on a square piece of tinfoil big enough to wrap the garlic in. Top with a big pinch of sea salt and 1 teaspoon of avocado oil. Wrap tightly in the foil to seal.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and place cut side down on the baking mat. Place baking sheet in the oven alongside garlic packet(s) and bake for about an hour, maybe a little less if your sweet potatoes are small – until tender when pierced with a fork.
- When sweet potatoes and garlic are both tender and just barely starting to caramelize, remove from the oven and carefully turn them over so they’re flesh side up, to release steam and allow to cool more quickly. Open up the aluminum foil garlic packets so the roasted garlic can also cool.
- When sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh into a large bowl, and discard the peels.
- Add parmesan cheese, almond milk, salt, and pepper.
- When garlic cloves are cool enough to handle, squeeze each clove onto a small plate and smash to a paste with a fork.
- Add smashed garlic to the sweet potatoes and mash together with a potatoes masher. A pastry cutter also works well for this. If you want a super creamy result mix briefly in your food processor or blender.
- Lightly brush the inside of a 2 qt baking dish with ghee or avocado oil and transfer the sweet potatoes to the baking dish. Spread evenly. If making ahead of time, this is the point where you would store the casserole in your refrigerator until your ready to bake it and serve.
- Brush the top of the casserole with a little bit of melted ghee or avocado oil. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden and bubbly around the edges. If you want a more golden crust on top, broil on high for the last 2 minutes of baking. Before serving top with a little extra parmesan cheese, fresh herbs and black pepper.
- Paleo option: Leave out the parmesan cheese, and use a non-dairy fat and a non-dairy milk. Yummy add in’s to punch up the flavor could be cooked and crumbled bacon, a tablespoon or so of nutritional yeast, or green onions!