This Whole30 kale chicken Caesar salad is SUCH a crave worthy Whole30 meal! Made with hearty kale, perfectly seasoned chicken, a delightfully creamy homemade Whole30 caesar dressing, and topped with a dairy free parmesan “cheese” made with hemp hearts. Like your favorite Caesar salad, but healthier! Whole30, Paleo, Gluten free, Dairy Free.
For kale Caesar
- 1 large bunch of kale or 2 small bunches, ribs removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- about 1/3 cup Whole30 Caesar dressing – or a store bought version
For the seasoned chicken
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts – about 1 pound
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, ghee, or coconut oil – for cooking
For the dairy free hemp heart parmesan
- In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients for the hemp heart parmesan and set aside.
- Add cut kale to a large bowl and drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Using your hands, massage kale until shiny and tender – about 30 seconds to a minute. Add thinly sliced red onion and set aside (move to the refrigerator to keep it chilled if desired.)
- Season chicken breasts evenly with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Heat avocado oil in a large cast iron or non stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot and oil is glistening, add chicken breasts and cook, undisturbed, for 6-7 minutes, until golden brown and they easily lift from the pan. Flip, and cook another 5-6 minutes, until cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board to rest while you toss the salad.
- Drizzle kale and red onions with about 1/3 cup of the caesar dressing and toss to combine. Add more dressing if desired.
- Divide kale Caesar between 4 bowls. Slice chicken breasts against the grain and add to the top of the salad.
- Finish with a generous sprinkle of dairy free hemp heart parmesan and serve!
This recipe makes more Caesar dressing and hemp heart parmesan than you’ll need. You can store them in the refrigerator for the next time you make this recipe, or double the kale and chicken to have lots of leftovers!
The best part of this kale Caesar salad is that it will keep in the refrigerator for leftovers the next day, even after the salad is dressed! Since kale is heartier than romaine, it won’t wilt the same way a tender green would. This makes it perfect for lunch leftovers the next day!
This kale Caesar salad could also be made with salmon, shrimp, or (if you’re not doing a whole30) fried tofu or roasted chickpeas.
- Category: salad
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: whole30
Keywords: whole30, chicken, paleo, gluten free, dairy free, caesar salad, kale, kale salad, healthy, dinner, lunch, meal prep